Thursday, February 16, 2017

“Enhancing Skills in Planning, Designing Implementing and Assessing Learning Outcomes in K-12 Curriculum”

Seminar Workshop


Changing for the better!



A
 three day K-12 Basic Education Seminar – workshop with a theme: “Enhancing Skills in Planning, Designing Implementing and Assessing Learning Outcomes in K-12 Curriculum” was conducted on February 21-23, 2014. It had been a great experience in my part. It opened my eyes for what K-12 is all about. The resource speakers are truly remarkable, thanks to them, we learned so much. Also to Ma’am Rosemin Rabida who made a lot of effort and to the staff for organizing this seminar which had been a great success, A hundred thanks.
Before the seminar started, we were oriented by Ma’am Rabida, we are all confused about what k-12 is. And so this seminar cleared the doubt and ensured secured  questions of our mind.

Ma’am Rabida grouped us in to 5, and I belong to Group 4.
During our first Day which was Friday, we were told to wear a school uniform, at first I really don’t know what to do, if what would I bring in our first day, I’m a little excited yet nervous on that Day. I got up early in that morning, brushed my teeth, took a bath and then do whatever it is to be done that morning, and so it was 7:30 when I got to the Social Hall, The participants were getting their envelopes and name tags, I saw my classmates and follow to get mine.
In the envelope there is a pen and paper and the program of activities, after that I looked for my seat and waited intently until the program started.
The prayer was leaded by Ms. Marjorie Ranon and the Philippine National Anthem and Singing of RSU Hymn respectively by Ms. Jermaine Kylie G. Rance, Opening Remarks by Mrs. Rosemin F. Rabida, And a substantive message by Dr. Carmelinda M. Juanzo.
Before the Seminar proper Mr. Cris Anthony R. Rabino announced Mr. Jonathan Robea to conduct the Leveling of Expectations and to find our respective groups. Mr. Robea read out to present our expectations for the resource speaker, food/merienda, and the place/venue of the seminar.
It took us 1 minute to find our group; the members of our group were composed of 2nd year and 4th year. The facilitator had given us a Cartolina and Pentel Pen. In our group we wrote “we will learned many things in this 3 day seminar and also in this seminar our knowledge about k-12 will broaden etc.” After 3 minutes, Mr. Robea stated that time is up and then he called for the representative of our group to present their expectations in front of the whole student body. Some of the group revealed that they expect that the resource speaker must be energetic and funny to prevent boredom, unlimited coffee to avoid sleepiness which made a great laugh to the students, spaghetti for merienda and their certificate must be laminated. When the leveling of expectations finished, Mr. Robea said that they will do their best to satisfy our expectations.
During the seminar proper the Group 1 BSED had given a motivation, and then Mr. Elliezar Ribot made an opening. One of the things that he said is that “Change is the only thing that is permanent in this world” and follow up by saying that K-12 is the “new trend” in a school curriculum. He is also the one who introduced our first speaker for that day which is Mr. Cris Anthony R. Rabino a Part-Time Instructor in Romblon State University. The latter talked about the Historical Development of Basic Education. In this Topic he talked about the first curriculum of our ancient Filipino, the beginning of their language and the oral and written texts, and the innovations of the curriculum until our present.
The 2nd topic in that morning is K-12 Background and Rationale which was presented by Mrs. Marilou G. Rotoni, a Principal I in Cajidiocan Central Elementary School. She talked about the importance of k-12 and also the purpose of our President why the latter implemented it. According to the report, Philippines is the top 3 among the Asian countries to have a 10 year Basic Education Curriculum and according to studies, the students are not fully equipped and competitive enough which is why it is important to add another 2 years in a school curricula which is the junior and senior High School. I agree with the Purpose of the President, he only wants what is the best for our country.
After our lunch break in our house, I immediately went to the Social Hall to have our afternoon Session. Program host was lead by the Group 1 BeEd, we were energized of their motivation, that is why we are so thrilled to listen to our 1st Speaker Mrs. Marilou G. Rotoni again which is entitled “Guiding Principles and Features of K-12 Education.” In this topic Ma’am Rotoni Reminisces to what lessons she had been teaching, we learned so much from her, the teaching strategies that she made to make the students love school. I like her strategies, she really understands the student’s well being and also she told that to us in a humorous way, that is why I feel so inspired to her teachings, (by the way she was my teacher when I was in grade 5). She told us that she was strict to her students; however she was so good in handling her student’s behavior.
She enlightened us by her saying “I never stop to love teaching” which for me of course is very true. Her topic ended in an inspiring way, and I am looking forward again for the next speaker that we will encounter for the next 2 days.
On our day 2 – February 22, 2014
        For our 2nd day seminar we wore civilian clothes, so we, the English majors wore black t-shirt for our uniform for that day. I was a little bit excited for this 2nd day; our venue is now in the RSU classroom. The Weather is a little cold which is fine because it’s refreshing, I felt so energized!
        We started our morning session with a prayer and then proceeded with the motivation and then recap of yesterday’s activities then proceeded by introducing our Resource Speaker which is Mrs. Ethel M. Ramilo, a teacher I in Cajidiocan National High School, who teaches English. Her topic is all about the “Curriculum Framework of K-12 English/Workshop in Lesson Planning”
        Mrs. Ethel M. Ramilo talked about some Grammar Lesson and a short recap like the discourse, grammatical, sociolinguistic etc. She also gave us a sample of her lesson plan that she used and gave us English Majors a copy of it.
        She also talked about her studies when she was in Manila and how Pronunciation is so important, especially when you are an English Major, one of her unforgettable experience is that instead of pronouncing “Haunted” she pronounced the word “Hunted” instead, and so she didn’t forget that experience of her.
        I was inspired by her saying, “never stop studying” and even if you became a teacher, the more you should study, because we might not know, our student might be smarter than us.
        Her discussions ended really well, I’ve learned a lot to her teachings.
The next thing we did was to plan for the Demonstration teaching, and this time, we are all grouped into one as ENGLISH MAJORS. She taught us how to make a lesson plan and what to do when you’re in front, until lunch.
        In the afternoon, my classmates Shara and Ma. Christina were the ones who will demo for the 3rd day, and they are now planning if what would be the best topic, honestly, I’m a little confused about how to make that lesson plan, for me I think it is a little bit complicated, also the presentation of the demonstration is for the other day, I mean that is a one day preparation, it would be really challenging in their part especially when all of the student body will be there, that’s a lot of pressure.
        As for me, I couldn’t catch up with them. And so what I did was to plan for my energizer for tomorrow because my group assigned it to me and I’m excited.
In the evening I’ve researched in the internet and download some energizer for the preparation tomorrow.
       Day three/last day and that is February 23, 2014, SUNDAY.
We wore Uniform on that day. I was really anxious to go to school, and so I was so early. I’m energized because the music is full of beat and energy. We took pictures with my classmates who are early too. After that we waited for others to come. When the seats are beginning to fill up, we started to have an energizer; we danced “WHOOPS KIRRI”. After that my group asked me to present for my energizer, for another round. My energizer is Zumba. And so we danced.
When it was finished Ms. Gemarey started to announced our 1st speaker for that afternoon.
 Our first speaker is Mr. Jerry V. Pido, and I knew him, he was one of the students here in Romblon State University. I’m really proud because he was one of the students here in RSU is now a full time teacher, awesome. Anyway, His discussions went well, he taught us about the grading in the class card etc. He delivered it clearly. My ears are truly paying attention to him.
The next part was DEMONSTRATION TEACHING/CRITIQUING. My classmates are ready for it. I know they were nervous but they’ve done it well. Ma’am Ethel Ramilo was the one who criticized them; I know that they’ve got errors, however I can tell that they’ve managed it well.
The next one who presented were the MATH MAJORS, it was Mr. Elliezar Ribot and Gemarey Medina who presented, and it was truly great, I’m a little bit nervous because I’m not good in Math. One of the comments for them is to limit the activity because it was time consuming; however they’ve managed the attentiveness of the students which is good.
The last one who presented was the SCIENCE MAJOR, by Reynalie Boton, she was the funniest presenter ever, and laughter in the room was so loud, one of the things that she said when she forgot the answer is because she was old and ready to retire etc.  And then when she cannot answer the question given by the students, she said that “who wants to answer the question of her” and then another students answered.
The comment to her is to arrange the discussion well; however the critic said that her strategy of passing the question to another student is good. And she did a great job.
And now the Demonstration teaching and critiquing ended humorously. I felt really alive in that day. It was 4:00 o’clock when it ended, yet the BeEd below is not yet finished, and so we have to wait them up for the last part of the program which is the Distribution of Certificate. We watched horror movie to avoid boredom. When I couldn’t take it, I watched the BeEd performed the demonstration, until it ended.
I’ve truly learned a lot in this three-day seminar, it opened my eyes about what is happening in the teaching world. It was awesome, many questions had been answered, and so I was so thankful to the one who made this seminar. It is an eye opener. We got our Certificate Happily although it’s about to rain.
       


       

         

No comments:

Post a Comment